THE SPORTS ENTREPRENEURS
Premier League Psychologist
Paul McVeigh, from playing professional football in the Premier League to becoming a trained psychologist, and now advising C-suites and top corporate executives. Tons of great stories and lessons from his career as a professional player and how a Tony Robbins book put him on the path to studying psychology and becoming a keynote speaker.
- Growing up in Belfast, Northern Ireland, in a rough neighborhood in the 80s – what it was like playing football with tanks driving around the streets
- A journey from Belfast to London, getting offered a contract with Tottenham Hotspur in mid 90s and meeting football legend Jurgen Klinsmann
- His beliefs at the time about himself and what then happened in order to make his Premier League debut
- His football journey from Tottenham Hotspur to Norwich City, Burnley, Luton Town and why the key was to constantly adapt his style to fit various roles for each team
- How to deal with winning/losing, the psychology and mindset behind it for a professional player, being relegated and achieving promotion again
- Who is truly responsible when a team wins or loses? Coach versus players?
- “Awaken The Giant Within” by Tony Robbins – our stories and the impact this book had on us and how this led to a degree in Sports Science and Psychology and a career in public speaking
- Next stops, working as pundit at Sky Sports, BBC, and giving key note speeches and running corporate leadership programs
- His book “The Stupid Footballer Is Dead: Insights Into The Mind Of A Professional Footballer” and an understanding of the mind of an elite sportsperson
- Concept of accountability – a pre-season story and his learning being exposed to world-class players
- Making conscious choices
- His current project: bringing in first-class athletes, world champions and securing them as keynote speakers to corporations, including top military, doctors, etc
- His contacts. Website: https://paulmcveigh.com LinkedIn: (5) Paul McVeigh, M.Sc. | LinkedIn Email: [email protected]
Paul McVeigh is a Premier League football player and Performance Psychologist. Paul’s credibility comes from the unique combination of reaching the pinnacle of elite sport as well as being the first Premier League footballer to qualify with a Master’s Degree in Psychology.
Paul specialises in implementing the psychology required to elevate the performance of leaders and teams from the financial services’ industry. He has recently worked with PWC, Grant Thornton, Aviva, Barclays, Deutsche Bank, Nat West, Cisco, Microsoft and many more.
These lessons are even more applicable today in our remote and virtual workplaces in order to empower individuals to understand that our thinking unlocks the required behaviours that are necessary for elite performance.
Paul shares his psychological framework from growing up in war torn Belfast, Ireland alongside the strategies he implemented performing under the intense scrutiny of 75,000 fans across the world. He is also an established broadcaster on TV and radio with BBC, Sky Sports, BT Sport and is also a published author of the ironically entitled book ‘The Stupid Footballer is Dead’.
The insights Paul shared as a Sport Psychologist for 2 Premier League clubs have helped many players compete in, what is considered, the most prestigious and ruthless sports league in the world.