THE SPORTS ENTREPRENEURS
Ben Nichols, a veteran sports communication and public relations expert with decades of experiences across the industry from WADA, Commonwealth Games Federation, Sportsradar to many other consulting jobs around the world. Listen to Ben’s unique journey around the world and his new company – Padel 22 – a dedicated communication consultancy for the world of Padel sport.
- How his career started – combining his love for writing with sports, travelling and working around the world
- Working in Dubai on ATP/WTA Tour stop and Emirates Dubai Rugby, next stop Lotus Renault travelling the globe and F1 circuit
- How to differentiate one F1 team from another and how to communicate it
- WADA – unpacking his 4 years at the World Anti-Doping Agency – heading to Montreal, Canada – media relations and communication
- During his period, various scandals hit the press from Lance Armstrong to Russian Doping scandals, IAAF – his experiences
- WADA, an “independent” body although funded by the IOC – working across all departments to assure a clear message goes out
- Pound and McLaren reports – big global media focus
- Athletics Integrity Unit set up by IAAF President, Sebastian Coe – the sport working on cleaning up its act
- Commonwealth Games Federation – Gold Coast Games in Australia – setting new standards and targets for sports from gender equality to disabled vs abled body athletes competitions
- From briefings at Buckingham Palace to writing opening speeches for the President
- Sportradar unique service– providing Anti-Doping Services to major event organizers (intelligence investigation services, athlete performance monitoring, etc) – business development role
- PADEL 22 – his new agency – https://www.padel-22.com
- What is Padel – background and difference to other similar sports (ie. tennis, pickleball, squash, etc)
- Dynamic, urban, cool new sports
- Vision and mission of Padel 22 – why he set up a single focused agency – one sport, global focus
- Padel vs Pickleball (European vs American style sports promotions) and ambitions of both sports
- Final thoughts – opportunities around the world – “sports nomad”
A leading Sports Communications, International Relations and Padel Industry professional who ran Media Relations for the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) during ‘the biggest sporting crisis of the 21st century’ – the Russian Doping Scandal.
Ben also led Communications and Public Affairs for a revitalised Commonwealth Sport movement at Gold Coast 2018, transforming the perception of the modern Commonwealth Games.
Ben brings with him with 17+ years’ experience and a proven track record of success running communications for the world’s leading sports series, leagues, events, teams, leaders, athletes, brands and media.
Ben is an entrepreneurial figure with expertise in Strategic and Corporate Communications, Media Relations, Public Affairs, Issues & Crisis Management, Event Operations, Speech Writing, Executive Communications Counsel, Marketing and as a Spokesperson.
By 26, Ben was overseeing Communications for the award-winning ATP and WTA Dubai Tennis Championships and leading the Middle East region’s Communications for the 2010 Asian Games ‘Road of Asia’ campaign. At F1 team Lotus Renault GP, Ben led Media activity including for drivers Nick Heidfeld, Bruno Senna and Romain Grosjean and team sponsors.
He oversaw Media Relations for WADA during a turbulent period for international sport. He was Communications Counsel for leadership; Editor of Play True Magazine; Speechwriter; and creator of widely-acclaimed interview series, WADA Talks. He executed Media Relations and Social Media for the high-profile WADA Investigation into Doping in Athletics, achieving a total US$4.60 Billion AVE in the process and resulting in #WADA becoming the World’s No.1 trending topic on Twitter.
As the Commonwealth Games Federation’s first Director of Communications and Public Affairs, he developed and implemented the Marketing & Communications Strategy, positively shifting the public perception of what the Commonwealth Games meant worldwide.
Ben ran his own Sports Communications Consultancy working with the likes of the International Padel Federation (FIP), Lawn Tennis Association (LTA), USA Weightlifting, USADA and the Athletics Integrity Unit, and also worked for global sports media and technology innovators, Sportradar, heading the Anti-Doping Services team for Europe.
Today, he is working as a Strategic Communications and PR Consultant in the burgeoning sport of Padel – widely described as “the world’s fastest growing sport”.