THE SPORTS ENTREPRENEURS
“Private Equity With a Heart”
Drew Sheinman’s career is a 40 year smorgasbord in the world of sports, sports marketing, entertainment and now Private Equity from MLB, MSG, Coca-Cola, Breeders Cup, Endeavor to now Brand Velocity Partners. Incredible journey from the humble days of a management trainee in the MLB in 1979 to now running his own Private Equity partnership. As always, enjoy listening and learning.
- Starting his career as one of the first Management trainees in the MLB
- Baltimore Orioles stories, working with new ownership, winning the World Series in 1983
- Next stop New York Mets, as a Yankees fan, creating new marketing and revenue streams. “Let’s go Mets” rally song for 1986 World Series Champion – according to Rolling Stone Magazine, the greatest anthem in baseball. https://youtu.be/2N4VIXM1RJk
- Two World Series Rings from Orioles and Mets days. Started his first own company, integrating sports and entertainment. Investor pulled the plug.
- Madison Square Garden – marketing and business development for the teams across many different genres, sports, entertainment, etc
- Created the first MLB Fan Fest around the All-Star weekend. MSG owned the concept. Still running 20 years later.
- Coca-Cola Director Sports Marketing – they wanted someone from the outside looking in
- Coca- Cola Olympic City – at the Atlanta 1996 Olympics, Theme Park concept, etc almost a 1,000 presentations to get it approved – great success story
- From FMCG to Real Estate – Running Malls for Simon Brand Ventures (250 Malls across the US). Turning them into entertainment complexes. 2 Billion visitors annually. Simon live media network.
- Tiki Barber (NFL NY Giants player) partnership – Tiki Ventures (replicating Magic Johnson success story, bringing athletes into business opportunities)
- Breeders Cup – Chief Marketing/Revenue officer – 30-day crash course around the industry –
- Endeavor (WME-IMG) – Brand Ventures – first agency for retired American Football players (22,000), talent management from athletes, Hollywood stars to supermodels (Agent 2.0) – working with Kobe Bryant
- Brand Velocity Partners – Private Equity – started 2 years ago – independent sponsors model (closed several acquisitions already) – focus on middle-market companies
- Barbeque Guys – brought in Manning Football family and other players as investors and brand ambassadors
- Core Values: integrity, kindness, carrying – creating balance – do well and do good
- Not a fund (independent sponsor model) – looking for deals which fits the model, Ebida threshold. Then raise the funds to close the deal.
- Looking across health, wellness, Tech, food & nutrition, etc – other deals Original Footwear (Military Footwear),
- Reflection on 2020 – was a great year despite the challenges – all funds raised virtual
- Vision Works- Rebels Spirit – agave spirit from Mexico – new category called “Avila”
If you want to launch, scale or monetize your business, you want Drew in the room. He’s a self-described “white space” guy. The guy that not only looks forward but looks around to come up with fresh ideas to grow your business.
Drew has a results-charged track record of guiding premier companies and iconic celebrities to differentiate their brand and optimize revenues through the development and execution of ground-breaking concepts, strategic partnerships and new business ventures. His ideas have created a billion dollars of top-line value.
What makes Drew extremely valuable is his proven ability to shape his ideas for profit and take them to market to his vast and well-connected professional network. Drew particularly enjoys building new categories, the most challenging and exciting work of all. He is best known for envisioning and making markets in sports and entertainment for: Endeavor(WME-IMG), MLB, International Olympic Committee, Coca Cola, Madison Square Garden, Simon Property Group, Breeders Cup, NY Mets, and Baltimore Orioles.
Drew is a Partner of Brand Velocity Partners, a disruptive lower-middle market private equity firm that focuses on consumer and data companies with $5-30 million of EBITDA. BVP is differentiated because of its focus on marketing, something its competitor’s lack. Drew takes great pride in BVP’s core values — integrity, thoughtfulness and kindness.
Drew is also a Director and Partner at Revel Spirits, a high quality importer of all agave spirits produced exclusively in the Morelos region of Mexico. All Revel spirits meet the high-quality standards of a trademarked new disruptive category now called “Avila.”
Drew “lives every second of every day” and loves spending time with his family, dog and doing his part, such as mentoring kids in sports to make the world a better place to live.