THE SPORTS ENTREPRENEURS
FIFA in the 90s & its Legendary Agencies
Dominik takes us back in time, what happened in the 1990s and early 2000 in World Football. How Fifa and its powerful agencies from ISL, Prisma to later Infront controlled the game and the commercial rights. And his trials and tribulations as an Entrepreneur. Fascinating stories, enjoy.
Fifa’s report into ISL scandal is just window dressing:
- Getting a job at the Goliath of Sports Agencies in the early 90s, ISL Marketing
- ISL Marketing’s rights portfolio from the FIFA World Cup, Olympics, UEFA, African Nations Cup, etc
- Creation of new licensing (EA Sports deal with FIFA) and sponsorship programs, big money coming into sports
- Two parts to ISL. One side ran the business, the other ran the politics with the Federations
- “Foul”, money destroys the beautiful game
- FIFA had no clue about marketing or the commercial side of the sports
- FIFA TV rights battle – 2.8 billion guarantee (2002 & 2006 World Cup) – creation of Prisma Sports – Kirch Group getting into the game
- Creation of HBS (Host Broadcasting Services) – JV between ISL & Prisma
- Big rights gamble paid off for Kirch
- FIFA’s future, 2026 World Cup, 48 teams, is too much of a good thing
- From ISL, Prisma, Kirch Sports to Infront
- Biggest lesson: Global Sports Federations need to separate the Administration vs Commercial side of the business. Too much conflict of interest otherwise. US sports got that right.
- Dominik’s move into Entrepreneurship and tough learning (first a no from Bernie Ecclestone)
- Start-up experiences, streaming Platform (Zattoo), Augmented Reality (Augmara),
- Start-up success hangs on the right time, right people, right funding and a good dose of luck
- Schmid Media Solutions (SMS) – consulting project in social media, digital strategies
- Looking into the future of sports & tech – Esports, AR
Dominik is an entrepreneur/general manager in the digital (media) space and is always looking for interesting projects to assist in an advisory but hands-on capacity. He is a digital strategist, who grew up in the analogue world and knows how to build bridges between the ‘old’ world and today’s reality. He understands both sides and can easily facilitate communication between them. Dominik is also interested in all aspects related to the area of digitization and the paradigm shift it brings about, the new opportunities it creates and the broader impact on society.
Very broad industry background, in particular in sports and music, with substantial experience in the electronic media (digital media, IPTV, rights licensing, broadcast operations), marketing (sponsorship, licensing) and legal (contract negotiation and drafting) and social media fields. Strong leadership skills and proven track record of delivering results under difficult circumstances in varying cultural environments. Experienced negotiator. Strong social skills. Team builder and integrator.
If you are enjoying the Sports Entrepreneurs Podcast (SEP) series, check out our Sports Entrepreneurs Mastermind (SEM) sessions too.
The SEM sessions are an extension of the SEP series, where we bring experts from around the world together for 1.5-2 hours of brainstorming, learning, discussion and connecting. It’s a live online round table format, moderated by Marcus Luer which includes a short presentation by him to set up the topic of the session and then the members will discuss, share their thoughts, ask questions and debate the topic. The direction of the discussion is truly influenced by the participants of the given session. It’s a fascinating learning experience for everyone involved. Come join us for future sessions by getting on our mailing list. Please register HERE